While rolling in the profits from the fossil fuel industry, Harper’s Government has done the following.
- 1.5 billion in cuts to the environment by 2016.
- 5 oil spill response offices closed across Canada.
- 8.4% cut to rail transportation safety.
- 99% of rivers and lakes now exempt from federal regulations.
- $56 million in cuts to Canada’s food inspection system.
- 35 government libraries closed.
- More than 5,000 job losses at the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Health Canada, Fisheries and Oceans and Agriculture Canada over the next three years.
- Over $298 million in government advertising since 2009-2010.
- All while federal fossil fuel subsidies add up to more than $1.38 billion.